Dr. Avers has pioneered the field of Gerontology in Physical Therapy. She is an educator and a clinician who has reached national acclaim. She consistently receives exceptional reviews by her students as she delivers dynamic and thoughtful educational sessions. Her academic appointments have been numerous. She is well published in the field as her works cover a wide range of journals and books.
Examples of Dr. Avers' accomplishments include:
- Recipient of the Joan Mills Award, Section on Geriatrics (1991). Highest award for exceptional contributions to the Section on Geriatrics.
- Recipient of the Anna Tracey Memorial Award (1997) given by Pi Lambda Theta (to recognize contributors of a communications medium that enhances the image of the elderly.)
- Recipient of the Distinguished Educator Award (2007) given by the APTA's Section on Geriatrics.
- Director of the Transitional DPT program at SUNY Upstate Medical University, and former academician at numerous Physical Therapy schools.
- Editorial Board member of the Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy.
- Past President of the Section on Geriatrics of the APTA.